YGK Craft Beer Fest has become the teaser of summer for me. I have been lucky enough to have experienced this amazing event for the past three years and have watched it expand through both vendors and the number of people who attend.
Located on the hill at Fort Henry, YGK Craft Beer Fest boasts a number of local (and not so local) craft breweries, great local food trucks, and a fabulous line up of live music. Top it off with a beautiful sunny day (which have been few and far between this year!), that Fort Henry view of Kingston and Lake Ontario and it was the perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
The turnout this year was the best I have seen; but more people involves lines, lines … and more lines, so just be patient!
Here are some helpful hints for next year:
- Purchase tickets in advance in order to avoid the ticket line.
- Look around for the Beer Fest people in orange shirts – they have the beer tokens and will save you time from standing in yet another line!
- Most vendors have debit/credit machines, so cash is not necessary, but it’s always good to have a little on hand, just in case.
- Bring a blanket to get a spot on the hill. Beer, food and live music are much more enjoyable when you are sitting.
- HYDRATE! Bring a reusable water bottle that you can fill up. The Utilities Kingston Water Buggy is onsite and definitely came in handy this year!
- Wear sunscreen and a hat! I know, I know, how many times do you have to be reminded, right? But the only tents that are available are the beer tents. I don’t mind sitting in the sun, but wear sunscreen and re-apply it often!
- Try something new! With so many breweries to choose from, you might as well! I tried the new Hawaiian Style Pale Ale from Spearhead (a new brewery in Kingston) and a delicious Stadium Island Peach cider from Brickworks Ciderhouse (Toronto).
Lastly, don’t forget to have fun!